Metabolism – We’ve all got one, but for some it works like a formula one car and for others not! And this matters, because the rate at which your body burns calories and converts fuel to energy can also affect how easily you gain or lose weight, your risk of diabetes, and how much pep you’ve got in your step.
While much of your metabolic rate is determined by genetics, age, gender, and body size, there are some lifestyle changes that can quite literally speed up the engine. It is important to note that your metabolism cannot be solely held responsible for weight gain or loss — someone with a super-fast burn cannot stay slim eating junk food and not exercising, while people with slower metabolisms aren’t automatically doomed to become overweight.
But even mustard sized adjustments to a person’s metabolic rate can add up to significant health benefits over time. Here are 5 things you can do to keep your metabolism all tuned-up.
- Keep that tautness off: Even if stress does not make you to binge on fatty foods, stress can make your body take longer to process calories that you eat. Stress increase the level of cortisol in your body that worsens our metabolism which could lead to obesity in the future.
- Drink-up: A few studies have shown association between caffeine/ green tea consumption and increasing metabolic burn. But don’t go overboard: Too many caffeinated beverages a day can cause nervousness, nausea or insomnia, and some coffee beverages are also high in fat and sugar.
- Sleep like a baby: Not getting enough quality shuteye is another reason; this also may have to do with the brain’s secretion of cortisol when the body is under stress. So get enough quality snooze every day, like 6 to 8 hours.
- Pump some iron and make some muscles: Any type of physical activity — even just walking for 30 minutes — can help speed up metabolism (Anything is better than sitting for hours at office) But the kind of exercise that works best to activate brown fat and kick start metabolism is strength training. By this way we actually wake up our resting energy expenditure which is what is going to help you in the long run. Get expert training, like Re-FIT, and start lifting weights.
- Do not skip breakfast: Do not experiment with crazy fad diets and create nutrient deficiency in your body. Your metabolism gets a slap and it slows down when it is low on nutrients. Eat a healthy breakfast to keep your metabolism engine running smooth.
As always, Stay Fit and Stay Happy.